What is the retirement age in TCS

Not employed while cohabiting: Do I have to pay AHV contributions?

  1. Home
  2. All monthly topics
  3. June 2020: Cohabitation
  4. Inactivity in cohabitation ...
Yes, provided you have not already reached the AHV retirement age: unlike married couples or persons in a registered partnership, you have to pay your AHV / IV / EO contribution even if you are not gainfully employed.

For people who are not gainfully employed, the obligation to contribute begins on January 1st after they turn 20 and lasts until the end of the month in which women turn 64 and men turn 65.

Avoid contribution gaps

In order to avoid contribution gaps and subsequent pension cuts, you must pay the minimum contribution of currently CHF 496 / year for the AHV / IV / EO, with a maximum of 50 times the minimum contribution.

Higher pensions in cohabitation

The individual pensions of cohabiting partners can be higher than those of spouses or registered partners: While the latter together may amount to a maximum of CHF 3,555, the maximum rate for the two individual pensions of cohabiting partners is CHF 4,740. The proverb “Check out who binds” applies here from a financial point of view especially to cohabiting couples who want to marry at retirement age.

No mutual claims after separation or death

If a cohabiting couple separates, there are no entitlements to the sharing of the AHV assets: The amount of the future AHV pension is based solely on the individually paid contributions.

Anyone who is married or lives in a registered partnership is entitled to benefits from the 1st pillar after the death of their partner. It is different in cohabitation: the surviving cohabiting partner is not entitled to a widower's pension.