Who were the first Slavs
From Mecklenburg to Wendland and Holstein: Slavs once lived in many places in northern Germany. Museums with the typical ring walls are a reminder of this. The term Slavs stands for a group of tribes and peoples from Eastern Europe. What they had in common was a common language family that set them apart from the other two major language groups in Europe: Germanic and Romance. The origin of the Slavs may have been in what is now Ukraine. From there, Slavic tribes migrated westwards from the 6th century - initially to the Balkans. In the 7th century they reached areas of Germanic tribes and reached the Elbe.
Over the Wendland to the coast
Around a hundred years later there were settlements of Slavic tribes in Wendland and on the Bay of Kiel. The Rundling villages in Wendland can be traced back to these population groups. The tribes of the Abodrites settled in Mecklenburg and are considered by many to be the origin of the Mecklenburg royal houses. While the Slavic settlements initially lived from agriculture and cattle breeding, their inhabitants also developed craft techniques and traded in the 8th and 9th centuries. To defend their communities against external enemies, the Slavs built ring walls, which were later partly destroyed and partly used as a starting point for larger villages and towns. A further common cultural development of the Slavs apparently stood in the way of the great spatial expansion. Rather, regional influences shaped the lives of the immigrants.
The Sorbs - a national minority
The most famous Slavic people in Germany today, who still cultivate their culture, are the Sorbs. They live in Lausitz in eastern Brandenburg and southern Saxony. In Germany, the Sorbs - like the Danish minority - are recognized as a national minority with around 60,000 people.
Groß Raden: sanctuary of the Slavs
1,000 years ago Groß Raden in Mecklenburg was a temple of the Slavs. Today visitors can relive the everyday life of a settlement from the early Middle Ages. more
This topic in the program:
North Tour | 05/27/2017 | 6:00 p.m.
- Can hospitals give you abortion pills
- What is the correct age for LKG
- The BBC had its day
- Are psychology and theology useless
- Which should I choose NDA or CA.
- How good is MIG 29
- What is the most lucrative degree
- Is CBD oil effective without THC
- Are unions dead
- Why does FADH produce 1 5 ATP
- Why do some people have open relationships
- Should I see Dexter
- Has china beef
- What are your healthy pantry staples
- Why do teenagers need their own laptops
- Did you make your parents cry
- Can I cash a handwritten business check?
- What is being done in the PRC
- How to get to R D.
- What is a seaport
- Should children be exposed to Facebook ads
- Which country has the best public education?
- What is the most useless subject in school
- When was the first passport issued?