How many people in Pakistan are unemployed
18 million unemployed?: Pakistan threatens mass unemployment through corona measures
Islamabad (dpa) - In Pakistan, over 18 million people could become unemployed due to strict curfews as a result of the Corona crisis. Economists at a state institute in Pakistan's capital Islamabad came to the conclusion. For more than two weeks, the South Asian country has been subject to a curfew, which is being enforced by the military and local authorities.
In their analysis, the researchers at the Pakistan Institute for Development Economics (Pide) examined the possible effects of the nationwide curfews on various sectors of the economy. Pakistan's day laborers in particular are threatened with a new crisis. 12 million unskilled workers could become unemployed. Agriculture is particularly threatened, the experts fear that there will be more than five million unemployed. The crisis could plunge 120 million people into poverty, said Mahmud Chalid, one of the study's authors.
In another report, the researchers examined the development of food prices. These have been stable since the corona virus spread in Pakistan with currently over 4,300 confirmed cases. However, the South Asian country has been struggling with a food crisis for months. Tomatoes, sugar and flour in particular have become more expensive since autumn 2019 as a result of delivery bottlenecks.
Although the state countered this with new crop estimates for wheat in February, the problem would persist, warns Welthungerhilfe in Pakistan. The harvest in the southern province of Sindh and in the east in Punjab is threatened by locust infestation. In addition, prices could rise as the restrictions on going out mean that there is a lack of field workers for the harvest. Information minister Firdaus Aschik Awan said that the going-out restrictions were to be eased slightly on April 14, initially in the construction industry and agriculture.
According to a recent report by the United Nations Development Program, around four in ten people in Pakistan already live below the poverty line. Factors such as education, health and standard of living are taken into account.
Study by the Pakistan Institute of Development Economics
This message is part of the automated news feed of the German Press Agency (dpa). The dpa is a news agency that supplies the media with self-researched and formulated reports on current events.
- What makes us so important
- Can I do a Master's together with the CFA
- Is it difficult to live in Istanbul, Turkey?
- A leak can cause HIV
- Bad music is music
- What's the best mexican vegan dish
- Should I watch Supernatural Season 10?
- Hotel management is a tough job
- Is it a bad habit to sleep in the afternoon?
- What can private investigators find out
- Gerrymandering is fair
- What kind of people do startups need
- How do guinea pigs recognize their owners?
- How do millionaires manage their money
- How does Lazada's free shipping work
- How much student debt is too much
- What does the slang term j mean?
- Why did Aussies always sledge
- Why are some people hard to love
- Is Marseille safe to visit alone
- How much do you spend at McDonalds
- Have you experienced or experienced psychotic anger
- Think of African American women as attractive
- How are bank interest rates determined