Which startups use the co-domain
.io: Why the domain is so popular with startups
Blossom.io, Crate.io or Prescreen.io - the trend towards the .io domain has also arrived in Austria. But what is behind the website ending, which geographically actually belongs to the archipelago of the British Indian Ocean Territory? Around 3,500 people currently live in the British overseas territory - all of them are in the military. The percentage of .io websites that actually come from there is very low. The domain is particularly popular with techies because it stands as an abbreviation for input / output. In computer science, I / O refers to the communication between a system and the user or another system.
+++ Crate.io: The big data heroes from Vorarlberg +++
Linkin Park had to rename itself
It is significant that the very first .io domain was not registered from the archipelago. It was the fashion brand Levi Strauss & Co. that acquired levi.io in 1998. .Io now accounts for around 1 percent of all domains. In the past year alone, usage almost doubled. It is not only popular with tech startups and companies because of its IT connection - the namespace of common top-level domains such as .com is slowly getting tight. It is not uncommon for startups to have to change their names because the .com domain is already taken or is very expensive to acquire. The rock group Linkin Park is a very early example of this, by the way. Originally the band name was supposed to be Lincoln Park, but lincolnpark.com was already taken.
No SEO disadvantages with .io
Google now recognizes .io as a generic domain, which means that there are no SEO disadvantages when using it. Perhaps due to its rapidly growing popularity, however, the domain is one of the most expensive at up to $ 100 per year. .Io is registered via NIC.io, which is operated by the UK Internet Computer Bureau (ICB).
Political background to .io
In 1997, the UK gave the ICB the right to independently administer the .io domain. Much of the money is flowing back to the British government, which has been a constant source of resentment over the past few months. In the 1960s the archipelago was still inhabited by around 1800 Chargossians. They were evicted from the UK in the early 1970s to make way for the US military. For the United States, the islands were strategically important during the Cold War. There is now hope that the displaced islanders will be able to return.
- Chinese speak better English than Indians
- How should professors for engineering schools be selected?
- Have you ever met the devil
- All perfumes are made from alcohol
- What happens to unpaid credit card debt
- How do you like a clitoris?
- Do you miss your generation
- Is Taiwan a developed country
- Men should avoid marrying working women
- How do I cook authentic American BBQ
- What makes an idea patentable?
- Who can marry Daenerys in Westeros
- What makes a successful IT project manager
- How much the dollar would change the world economy
- Motor oils are all the same
- Traffic violations are displayed during background checks
- Why would INTJ cheat on his wife
- Ireland is part of Great Britain
- Which countries should I not visit?
- What are some very, very short stories
- What is petroleum
- Who are the Rothschilds and the Rockefellers
- What companies are there in Mindspace Hyderabad
- Shall we live next to the family?