How long do you cook fries
The perfect fries - the only true basic recipe
For the salty potato snack you don't have to go straight to the next french fries stall, because you can prepare the gold-yellow pens in your own kitchen.
And now I'll lean out the window and tell you - even a little better than at your favorite chip shop.
No more light, greasy fries that can't even stand upright to be dipped in ketchup. Or bend sadly between your fingers (not to mention crispy). Or too crispy fries that no longer have any inner workings. You know what i mean right? I'm talking about hollow fries. Both variants are really not what you would expect from this delicious potato snack. So what do they look like? And how do you get them that perfect fries?
Table of Contents
Who invented it?
No, no large fast-food company has brought the gold-fried potato sticks into the world. They originally come from Belgium, where they were initially mainly served as a side dish. But the great international career was not long in coming and today fries or “French Fries” land on plates around the world.
Where does the name come from?
Derived from French, “Pommes” is the abbreviation for “pommes de terre” (potatoes). “Frites” comes from “frire” (sizzle).
The gold between your fingers
What should the ideal fries be like?
In order to earn the title of the perfect fries, the potato sticks must meet several criteria, which would be:
- You should very much crispy be, but not too crispy.
- The French fries inside is beautiful fluffy and tastes like potatoes. Gummy, greasy fries fall through.
- you are cooked evenly and always have one golden brown coloring.
- youto keep at least that long their shapeuntil the plate is empty. You must not wobble too quickly and hang your head.
If all of these points are met, you are holding top-quality french fries between two fingers.
So far so good. But how do you make these perfect fries? Very simple: With the vinegar-water double deep-frying method (with optional freezing) that kitchen nerd J. Kenji López-Alt devised - and which consists of the following steps:
- Pre-cook the potato sticks in vinegar water
- First deep-frying at 180 ° C
- Let the potato sticks cool down, or even better: freeze them
- Second deep frying at 190 ° C
Sounds complicated, but you'll taste the difference.
Which type of potato is best?
First of all, you should decide on a type of potato. For french fries with a creamy interior, varieties that are less starchy, i.e. predominantly waxy, such as granola or gala, are suitable. But if you want fries that are airy on the inside and still juicy, then are floury potatoes like Adretta or Bintje the better choice.
The vinegar bath - the key to the perfect crust
After that has been clarified, it is now time to take big steps towards the perfect crust. The crux of the matter is the preparation of the potato sticks. Before they are fried twice in hot oil (once a little shorter and once a little longer), they must first take a 10-minute bath in hot water with vinegar and boil.
Now you are probably asking yourself: “Why the whole thing?” To answer that in detail, I would have to bore you with a lot of nerd knowledge. But I prefer to limit myself to the main advantages that blanching in vinegar water has for the ideal crust:
- It will keep the fries from browning too quickly before they're even crispy.
- It will keep you from biting hollow potato sticks that are too crispy and run out of filling at the end of your kitchen chores.
- It strengthens the potato structure so that the fries stay in shape and brown evenly.
Double deep-frying - crispy on the outside, nice and juicy on the inside
So that the inside is fluffy but not rubbery, it has to lose as much moisture as possible during cooking. Therefore, pre-cooking also plays an important role here on the way to the perfect fries.
After boiling, the potato sticks should be allowed to dry for 5 minutes. Then they are fried for 50 seconds at around 180 ° C for the first time.
Before they come into the hot oil a second time and are perfectly fryed, they should be given at least 30 minutes to cool down. Better yet - freeze them overnight.
Freezing - give the fries the cold shoulder
You're so close to your goal and then should you freeze them?
Yes, because it really makes sense and is definitely worth it in terms of taste. The remaining moisture in the fries freezes into sharp ice crystals that damage the potato structure, so that it can evaporate very quickly during the second deep frying. What remains are fluffy, super crispy fries. And the best thing is - you can prepare a larger amount right away and always have a portion of the tastiest French fries in your freezer.
French fries - the only real basic recipe
You just need these 4 ingredients to end up with perfect fries on your plate:
- 4 floury potatoes
- 2 tbsp clear table vinegar
- 2 liters of frying fat, tasteless oils with a high smoke point such as peanut oil are suitable
- Deep fryer or a large saucepan
- Kitchen thermometer
Do you have everything you need
Check off accessories and ingredients or go straight to the recipe.
Did it taste good?
Share this recipe with others or save it for later.
TIP: Control with buttons
There they are, the perfect fries between your fingers - ready to be dipped in homemade mayo or homemade ketchup. Have I promised you too much?
Basic recipe for fries
How can I keep french fries warm?
Sure, they taste best freshly made. But when you're preparing french fries for a whole pack, it's not easy to keep crispy french fries all at once. How to keep french fries warm:
- Preheat your oven to around 80 ° C. Spread the fried fries on the baking sheet and keep them warm in the hot oven. A little tip: There is special baking paper that easily absorbs the moisture from the fries so that they don't get mushy.
- Some cooks swear by a third round in the hot fat. During the second deep-frying, the fries are fished out of the fat about 1 minute before they are golden brown and crispy and set aside again. When things get serious, fry them one last time in the hot fat for a crisp 30-60 seconds. The advantage: They are ready faster and hungry fries fans can get their portion quickly.
What goes with french fries?
Topping without limits
Mayo? Ketchup? Or as combined in the Ruhr area: French fries barrier? Without a dip, sauce or other topping, eating French fries would only be half as nice.
Are you craving the real chip shop taste? Do your French fries seasoning just do it yourself. For about 80 grams, mix 4 teaspoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of hot pepper powder, 1 ½ teaspoon of curry powder, ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of garam masala and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Fill the mix into an airtight container.
Or try the Canadian style with cheese and creamy gravy. Delicious to melt away. To the recipe
Do you already know the combination sweet potato fries with fried egg? A real dream team that comes along here with pickled vegetables and herbs in the Vietnamese banh-mi style. To the recipe
Or make it Mexican with the deluxe version: juicy steak strips, guacamole, tomato cubes - everything your heart desires on golden-yellow chip sticks. To the recipe
What to do with the frying oil?
It was delicious, but don't forget to clean up. Because so that your kitchen is sparkling clean for your next project, you still have to take care of the frying fat. But where do you put it?
You can use frying fat multiple times. To do this, you simply filter it through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth. But if it smells rancid, it's time to say Byebye:
- Please dump liquid deep-frying oil Not simply in yours Cast or in the Toilet bowl. The grease can clog the pipes and then has to be filtered out at great expense.
- Instead, deep-frying oil can be disposed of via recycling centers. In many cities, they offer extra containers in which you can simply fill the oil and then take it away.
- Another alternative: Fill the cold oil into a sealable, tight container and then dispose of it with the residual waste. Solid frying fat can simply be wrapped in kitchen paper or newspaper and disposed of in the same way.
- Which specialization is best in the civil sector
- Groenland has a north coast
- What does better working conditions mean
- Is Noida safe for girls
- What is the childhood gospel of Thomas
- Do you like feminism
- How is the business world
- You can feel everything, but you can feel nothing
- Will Buddhism be the last religion left?
- What is your saddest memory of your children
- Who are the best print service providers
- What is the name of the hat of the Popes
- What is primary secondary and tertiary health care
- What is Tony Stark's MBTI Personality Type
- Are lanthanoids radioactive
- Should all economies go cashless
- What should tourists avoid in Ethiopia
- Is Slovenia a rich country
- Can hospitals give you abortion pills
- Why do people like Pattaya
- The Irish originally came from Cantabria
- What is seafood
- What is Keynesian Economics
- What should we have for breakfast